League and Tournament Rules
This is meant to be a fun recreational league.
CITY OF GAITHERSBURG DEPARTMENT OF PARKS, RECREATION AND CULTURE
FIFTH AND SIXTH GRADE SOCCER RULES
- Regulation FIFA soccer rules will govern the games with the exception of any modifications listed herein or added during the season.
- The game will consist of four (4) quarters – 12 minutes each.Substitutions will only be allowed at the end of a quarter.Players must play a minimum of 2 full quarters.Participants should receive equal playing time.The same players should not continuously be playing the minimum two quarters, while others play three or four quarters.Participants should be rotated into different playing positions over the course of the season.No substitutions may be made for the goalie during penalty kicks.
- A coin toss shall determine who receives possession of the ball or field position.Teams shall change ends of the field at the start of the second half, and play then shall start with a kickoff by a member of the team opposite to that of the team taking the kickoff at the start of the game.
- A team will consist of eleven (11) players.Officials may make modifications if there are less than eleven players on either team.
- A Red and Yellow Card Rule will be in effect.This rule states that any player; coach or spectator may be “Carded”.After the initial yellow card is issued, a carded person attains the status of being cautioned.The next step is the red card – this is an ejection from the game, any coach or spectator will be asked to leave the field and proceed to the nearest parking lot area.Any individual not complying with this rule will cause his/her team to forfeit the game.
- Any major violation committed by the defense in their penalty area will result in penalty kick to the offense.Penalty kicks shall be taken twelve yards from the center of the goal.No defenders or offensive players may be allowed in the penalty area.
- A direct free kick will result from any major penalty, such as tripping, handball, pushing, or charging.
- An indirect free kick results from any major penalty, such as, offsides, obstruction, or after a cautioning.
- The offsides rule is in effect.
- On free kicks the opposing team must be 10 yards away from the ball.
- A ball is in bounds until it passes entirely over any boundary lines.
- Only the goalkeeper may touch the ball with his/her hands.
- Once the goalie has possession of the ball, she/he may not be challenged.He/she must immediately release the ball by throwing or kicking it within the five (5) second limit.
- 14. A player can not intentionally hit the ball back to the goalie. Goalie can kick the ball out, goalie cannot pick the ball
up – penalty: indirect free kick at the spot where the goalie picked the ball up. If there is less than 10 yards between
the spot where infraction occurred and the goal, defense lines up on the goal line.
15. SLIDE TACKLES ARE NOT ALLOWED!!! Players should not be playing the ball if they are on the ground.
16. If a player maliciously tries to take another player out, that player will have to sit out for 10 minutes (yellow card).
Their team will play a man down. If another incident occurs with the same player, that player will be ejected for the remainder of the game and suspended for the following game.
17. Any inappropriate language by players will result in a yellow card and the player will sit out for 5 minutes. Their team will play a man down. If another incident occurs with the same player, that player will be ejected for the remainder of the game and suspended for the following game.
18. Any trash talking of any kind will result in a yellow card and the player will sit out for 5 minutes. Their team will play a man down. If another incident occurs with the same player, that player will be ejected for the remainder of the game and suspended for the following game.
19. Players and coaches from both teams will be on one sideline while parents and spectators will be on the opposite side.
Coaches and spectators may not coach or stand behind their team’s goal. No more than 3 coaches on the team
20. All decisions by the officials will be final and not subject to protest.
A Parks and Rec Person may be on site to assist with the league.
Some rules that are important to our league:
No forfeits we will do whatever we need to play a game. Smaller team size, borrowing of players…
We play 12 minute quarters running clock, no subs during the quarter unless an injury
No slide tackles or playing the ball while on the ground.
The inclement weather information is as follows:
301-330-0050 x 2420 or www.gaithersburgmd.gov/leisure/sports